Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
There's some real nutters out there....
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerFace wrote:
wonder if "Benji" is now receiving counselling ?

Living with Liz Jones would be enough to warrant counselling

T.G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadgerFace wrote:
I followed a link on the article page to another of her little gems ! "Hypnosis got me back in the saddle!" Where it appears the bonkers woman doesn't even know the sex of her own horse !

'Benji ' starts the article as a 'he' and later is referred to a a 'she' - I wonder if "Benji" is now receiving counselling ?

or even exists

BadgerFace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LynneA wrote:
BadgerFace wrote:
wonder if "Benji" is now receiving counselling ?

Living with Liz Jones would be enough to warrant counselling

I did when I read dear 'Benji' had buried her and then tried to run her down for good measure - way to go Benji

Kenworth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She needs to stick to a soy and veg diet and let the rest of us carnivores worry about where our meat comes from.

It's a dairy cow that has gone past her prime. Should the cow be set up in a senior home for the rest of it's life?

We like our meat over here too well to tolerate such drivel.

shadiya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can you do about Daily Mail readers?

It's amazingly sloppy journalism and apart from the slightly bizarre supermarkets loss leader/ £38,000 dairy farm subsidy stuff, what I'd like to know is where this friend got her hands on 500 rescued rare breed sheep?

It amazes me that people pay good money to read such tripe

"It's a dairy cow that has gone past her prime. Should the cow be set up in a senior home for the rest of it's life?

We like our meat over here too well to tolerate such drivel. "

No doubt that the dairy industry could do with being more humane though and the American feed lot system is abhorrent so perhaps a bit more thinking about how food is produced wouldn't be a bad thing rather than throwing the baby out with the bath water and describing it all as drivel. I think the idea on vegetarians paying for slaughter free milk is eminently sensible myself, though I can't imagine that these two are going to do anything worth talking about.

These people do though

https://bhaktivedantamanor.co.uk/newgokul/index.php/cowprotection/

Well worth a visit if yr cow obsessed ( so that'll be me and Mrs R then )

shadiya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, couldn't work out how to do a quote from inside a post, if you see what I mean? Which you probably don't....

Kenworth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are rotten places for cattle globally, but those have come under scrutiny and are changing their ways. Over here if you want to be successful in the dairy business, you can't be caught with substandard practices.

This is a local dairy east of me https://www.moo-ville.com. There are many set up for tours to show the public just how dairy farming has progressed.

What to do with a dairy cow who has passed her prime? It would be great if they could be adopted out, but they can't so they fill another niche and end up as hamburger.

This whole subject is similar to the mares that are bred to make homrmone pills with the pregnant mare urine. That's a whole other story...

Most midwest beef cattle have the luxury of spending their lives in fields until a week or so before slaughter. Then they are put into a finishing feed lot that is really like a holding pen until the truck can take them to slaughter.

In my neck of the woods 1o or 15 beef cattle usually have the run of about 20 acres and get grained daily. In the winter they are supplemented with hay and grain, and a barn to get out of the weather.

When I had my own dairy cow as a young woman, she was more like a family member and hand milking and leaving the calves on was the way that she was kept. When she got to the point where she could no longer be bred, she went to slaughter and we ate her, thus finishing her circle of life.

I do not like to see any animal mistreated. If some have the space and time to let them live out their golden days that's great, but I'd rather have a meal.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenworth wrote:
Most midwest beef cattle have the luxury of spending their lives in fields until a week or so before slaughter. Then they are put into a finishing feed lot that is really like a holding pen until the truck can take them to slaughter.

Really? They are only in those massive CAFOs for a week of their lives? Is it really worth putting them in a holding pen for only a week.

If so that is rather different to over here, where most beef cattle are creep fed on their mothers in their first summer and then either housed and grain fed for the rest of their lives or grain fed outdoors during the winter months. I was led to believe that the USA invented this system, and did it on a much larger scale, along with the zero grazed dairy cow (as well as, of course, leading the way in grass fed stock - a country of extremes).

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenworth wrote:

What to do with a dairy cow who has passed her prime? It would be great if they could be adopted out, but they can't so they fill another niche and end up as hamburger.

The problem as I see it is because of the intensive regimes dairy farmers now have to inflict on their livestock, plus increased yield through breeding from an ever smaller gene pool, the useful life of a dairy cow has more than halved in the last thirty or so years.
If it was just a few greedy gits maximising their profit at the expense of the livestock then that would be bad enough, but the whole industry is intensifying just to stand still.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow wrote:

If it was just a few greedy gits maximising their profit at the expense of the livestock then that would be bad enough, but the whole industry is intensifying just to stand still.

It is just a few greedy gits - unfortunately they're the ones in charge of some very big, powerful companies.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The useful life of the dairy cow,started going downhill when the first Canadian Holstein was imported into the UK,they milk,but don`t wear,and bull calves and other crosses out of them lack a back end.

arvo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bothers me about the militant veggie view of the world (ie we should all just grow veggies etc) doesn't take into account how landscapes differ. In the UK you'd never turn the whole of the country over to veggies, some of it isn't suitable, some of it is better suited to other farming etc. And arable/animal farming evolved in the world hand in hand. Places too barren to grow crops in wound up with sheep on them, lowlands that grew grass really well got cattle on them. Chickens would up around/in the homestead cleaning up scraps and bugs.

I know that thesedays there is an artificially high demand for meat perpetuated by fast food, but even returning to a time before that, it wouldn't make sense to ignore land that is perfectly suited to cows/sheep or whatever.

Rob R

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 11 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvo wrote:
What bothers me about the militant veggie view of the world (ie we should all just grow veggies etc) doesn't take into account how landscapes differ. In the UK you'd never turn the whole of the country over to veggies, some of it isn't suitable, some of it is better suited to other farming etc. And arable/animal farming evolved in the world hand in hand. Places too barren to grow crops in wound up with sheep on them, lowlands that grew grass really well got cattle on them. Chickens would up around/in the homestead cleaning up scraps and bugs.

I know that thesedays there is an artificially high demand for meat perpetuated by fast food, but even returning to a time before that, it wouldn't make sense to ignore land that is perfectly suited to cows/sheep or whatever.

Same here - until the day someone is willing and able to take over all our 110 acres and grow veg on the lot I will keep grazing it, because I like grasslands and the wildlife it supports, and I also like animals. Good luck to them growing veg on our heavy clays and down in the loamy, but periodically 6ft under water Ings land, but if they want to do it, fair play to them.

oaklandspigs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 11 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvo wrote:
What bothers me about the militant veggie view of the world (ie we should all just grow veggies etc) doesn't take into account how landscapes differ. In the UK you'd never turn the whole of the country over to veggies, some of it isn't suitable,

I believe that 70% of UK agricultural land could not be used as arable, due to type & slope.

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 11 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oaklandspigs wrote:
I believe that 70% of UK agricultural land could not be used as arable, due to type & slope.

Terrace it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive