Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
a novel path surface

Author 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 8:14 pm    Post subject: a novel path surface Reply with quote

An Open Gardens afternoon round the village of Eynsham this afternoon included a tour of a fascinating allotment field. A plot holder had a wonderfully inventive path surface. She'd laid a thick layer of wine corks over the ground. It looked brilliant although she said it could be a bit slippy in places.

But what a great excuse, guys.. off to open a bottle.. in the interests of path making of course!

dougal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard it said that wine drinking was the first step on a slippery path... but I'm sure that this was not what was meant!

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fab idea. Not sure we get through quite enough for a path here though! Perhaps one would need to rope a friendy pub into saving corks?? My mum makes noticeboards with hers, they look really nice, just corks stuck onto harboard bith a gluegun and a bit of decorative trim roud the edge.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must take a mind boggling number of corks, or should I say a liver pickling number

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 05 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she did confess that she hadn't drunk them all herself and that since others knew she was collecting them she said she often found bags of them hanging from her front door handle! I'm thinking of having a word with the local pub..

I think it is an ongoing project, the whole of the allotment wasn't done like that by a long chalk ( or cork of course!!)

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 05 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used leftover bathroom tiles for mine - don't think even we get through enough corks for it, but will gladly send mine to whoever decides to give it a go!

nettie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 05 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they just scattered round loosely, like bark chippings, or had they been set into the path?

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 05 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scattered loosely like bark chippings, but I did wonder if they could be set in in some way. Or I've wondered since if corks could be strung together in some way, with wire?, to make door mats?

Gertie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 05 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a challenge for someone, Julie.

After all, we're all for recycling.

Drat, we had a few pint glasses full of corks and I couldn't think of a use for them so I chucked them a few weeks ago. Ah well, will have to start all over again

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 05 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gertie wrote:
Drat, we had a few pint glasses full of corks and I couldn't think of a use for them so I chucked them a few weeks ago.

We use the natural ones for firelighting - is that bad? - and the plastic ones and champagne like ones for cane toppers in the garden. I wonder if you can compost cork? I would assume so though it must take a while to rot.

judith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 05 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use them for lighting the fire too. Or rather I do. Left unattended, OH would use them to start another "collection", a habit which is to be discouraged at all costs .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive