Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
and my latest idea

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 08 9:32 pm    Post subject: and my latest idea Reply with quote

if i can get my head arround how to make crochet toy animals, i'm going to make baby a mobile of them. and a few to hang abovew her in the car so she has something to look at and hopefully a bit less to scream about

wellington womble

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 08 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some patterns for little knitted farm animals if that's any help - I'm sure they'd be suitable for mobile mobiles.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 08 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tay did some really cool little knitted animals. She might have patterns.

Tay

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 08 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great minds, and all that. Several months ago, I started knitting the aquatic/marine animals with the intention of making a mobile as the ones in the shops are so expensive and mostly rather tacky. I've been hoping to get a mobile (working or not) from Freecycle so that I can simply replace the hanging items with the ones that I've made. However, I haven't had any joy with Freecycle yet so will have to create something myself.

As for animal making - there seem to be far more crochet animal patterns than knitting ones; however Ravelry does have good selection for either craft. You could always try searching on 'amigurumi animals' - copious crochet patterns!

My famyard animal collection ground to a halt as I couldn't find suitable patterns - I revised a pig pattern and made a sheep from scratch. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have a look at the patterns you have, WW. Alternatively, I'd be grateful if you could let me know where I could get the patterns.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 08 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They came from that knitted farmyard book - I'll see if I can find some pictures. I'm happy to lend you any patterns you like the look of.

toggle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 08 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tay wrote:
Great minds, and all that. Several months ago, I started knitting the aquatic/marine animals with the intention of making a mobile as the ones in the shops are so expensive and mostly rather tacky. I've been hoping to get a mobile (working or not) from Freecycle so that I can simply replace the hanging items with the ones that I've made. However, I haven't had any joy with Freecycle yet so will have to create something myself.

As for animal making - there seem to be far more crochet animal patterns than knitting ones; however Ravelry does have good selection for either craft. You could always try searching on 'amigurumi animals' - copious crochet patterns!

My famyard animal collection ground to a halt as I couldn't find suitable patterns - I revised a pig pattern and made a sheep from scratch. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have a look at the patterns you have, WW. Alternatively, I'd be grateful if you could let me know where I could get the patterns.

ask if anyone has any of the alan dart patterns?

i was going to look into amigurumi, no idea where to start though

Grimnir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 08 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php - they have loads of knitters/crocheters on there and there's always loads of ammigurummiwhatsits

alice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 08 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the amigoowotnots were more suitable for a mobile, sort of smaller and neater, more compact?

fist page of amazon

Link

Sorry link police

Tay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 08 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellington womble wrote:
They came from that knitted farmyard book - I'll see if I can find some pictures. I'm happy to lend you any patterns you like the look of.

Some pictures would be great, thank you.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll have a look for Alan Dart patterns at the wool shop. If not, I may well be putting in a request on here.

Toggle, have a look at my favourites on Ravelry. There are a number of animal patterns which are mostly knitting, but some crochet too. Any reason why you're going for crochet, seeing that you a such a good knitter?

toggle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 08 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to do something different, to learn a new skill, plus, iirc, done properly, crochet can give a firmer fabric, so is better for toys that may be chewed. i think it should also give more options for 3d shaping than knitting

wellington womble

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 08 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the book that I have - it's lovely, although I can't say I've got round to knitting anything out of it yet - the little ones grow too fast!

this one shows more of the animals.

Tay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 08 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links. I think I'll have to keep my eye on Ebay for a copy of that book. I never did get to hunt for the Alan Dart patterns as the wool shop had closed early. Next time.....

Good point about crocheted toys being more robust - I hadn't really thought about Alexander having teeth and chewing things... Looks like I'll be needing to improve my crochet skills if I want his toys live long lives!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive